Saturday, March 6, 2010

What's For Dinner

When I began this blog spot, I thought it would be helpful to use this site as a daily venting post for the little annoyances that go along with my job- or really, the whole reality of my job! Working at a hot spot little bistro/bar in a small town- we are visited by anyone who wants to come out and have a bite to eat, a drink, or to socialize in the scene. We are small but large. We are open for lunch and dinner. Kitchen is closed by 8 or 9 at night- a blessing. We struggle through the winter and are usually super busy in the summer with our weed filled garden and mouldy wooded patio.
People come in hoards- when they come. Usually they are middle aged. People come from Toronto and act as though they have found the secret to Heaven! They have money to spend and appetites to fill-(exactly what we need to survive). The regulars come. They go. They come back. They mostly drink. People drink a lot in these parts. Mostly beer and wine. It's interesting to watch the richer folk get drunk a bit and socialize with their friends. They are not the subtle type, but at least they are having fun- I guess. Everyone is very loud and I often wonder if the diner's actually like coming in to eat with all the excitement. But, who can complain. What can you complain about? That people are having a good time? And business looks good? Anyone would look like an ass!

The toughest part about my job really --- is the main bones of it. Some act like a guest in your home-some cant figure out what they want to do and other's act like they half own the place because they are buying lunch at our establishment- and for some reason I must oblige to their order. I really can't stand that type. They are the type who want to dominate people and they will do it to a complete stranger just to feel as though they have status. Most people want attention as soon as they walk in the door. I can't blame them- It's my job to acknowledge you- however, I appreciate when people have patience if I am very busy. Some people want to know the specials right away. Other's need a moment to sit down and relax first before they can figure out what they like. I like both types. As long as people are attentive and respectable. You don't need to prove anything to me. I'm just a server- I'm not your servant. I am probably looking after 15 other people.

As much as I sound like I am bitching, and I know it may sound like I don't like my job- I do. I wouldn't do it if I didn't. But I have to admit it is stressful.
I've been working in restaurants for years. I have tried to make it as a writer and journalist among other titles but I always find myself going back to the restaurant gig. I get along well with people- even though certain ones piss me off. Usually we figure out how to subtly get along, but I would like to think I'm pretty good at what I do. And, for some reason I stick to it.

I'm off for a few days now, after working a full week, so this gives me a little time to balance out some time and get my home life in order for my own household, for whom I have to cook for and feed. It's really all about food. That is the most enjoyable part of our days. Maybe people have been let down so many times in their dining experiences that they just don't even know what they are going to get anymore. So I will explore some of the details that go along with dining out or dining in and how it goes from my view.

1 comment: